Tuesday 17 March 2015

IN MY HEAD FOR KShs.20 - #KShs. 2 - FRIENDS YOU SHOULD DUMP


Friendships are very tricky especially in this day and age where individuality is more common than trees. Personally, I have never been good at the constant communication but I know i turn up when I am needed. No one is perfect but there are people who can not be friends even if it were to rain water (get it?)

Like any other relationship, friendship needs work.I don't know why people assume friendships can run on autopilot. Its a relationship like any other.

That said, these are the kind of friends you definitely don't need. I know letting go of 'friendships' is hard but really, is it worth the effort? I do not think so. I write this from experience unlike some 'bloggers' who lift stuff from other sites.

Here goes...

1. THE SINGLE CARRIAGEWAY

Sample conversation:
Daisy: Hey, lets go out.
Lorna: I am busy

2 days later...
Lorna: Daisy, lets go out.
Daisy: I have school work...
Lorna: Its the only free day I have, no excuses

This is the kind of friend who is only available when she is available. Plans are plans only if she is available. Your schedule is not important. Your needs are not a factor. S/He is the only important part of that relationship. Drop that friend in some dirt road somewhere and never look back.

2. THE MOSQUITO

This is a blood sucking friend who stops at nothing. This are the overly dependent friends who only find you when they need something or some favor or because they have seen you have extra tickets to some event.

They drain you of you energy, money, time, goodness and emotions. They never give back, they never reciprocate.

Sample conversation:
Daisy: Aki sweetie i am stressed
Lorna: Whats up hun?
Daisy: My boyfriend is mad at me; aki i don't know what to do
Lorna: *Advice galore
Daisy: I do not have money for bras
Lorna: Mpesa

One month later:
Lorna: Umepotea
Daisy: Niko tu.
Lorna: I am stressed
Daisy: Pole

One week later:
Daisy: Lorna sweetie, unaenza ni peleka kwa wedding fulani. We can use your ride.
Lorna: No problem hun

SWAT THAT MOSQUITO! Friendship should benefit both parties. Friendship is mutual. You are not a one stop shop.

3. THE LOOSE BRA

This is a friend who will never support you. It does not matter what you need support in. It does not matter if you are need emotional, physical or endevour support. This friend is not there. For example, I tend to share links a lot and people I consider friends (or family) can't take five minutes to read. You get my drift?

Friends are meant to support you, to uplift and encourage you. This friends can not even support your hustle. If a friend paints, buy a paint one time. If a friend sells bracelets, buy one. If your friend does plays, attend some. If your friend has a function, attend it. But the loose bra does not. All they do is pretend they are there but not really.

Bin that bra.

4. THE JOURNALIST

Sample conversation
Lorna: Mapya?
Daisy: I am okay but my mother and father are breaking up, the cat died and I failed my exams.
Lorna: Woi Pole. Things will work out.
Daisy: Enough about me. How are you?
Lorna: Nothing, Niko tu.

This is the kind of friend who is always up in your business but never tells you about their lives. They essentially do not think you deserve to know more than the "I got a new job' details. I tend to believe in the kind of friendship where we can talk on everything and nothing.

Fire the journalist. If you wanted a one-sided sharing session, go to a psychiatrist.

5. THE BAE GROUPIE

Sample Conversation
Daisy: Can we hook up?
Lorna: I wish but i am taking Peter to the dentist

Daisy: Please take me to Hosi
Lorna: Aki i had plans. Peter's cat died, there is a service

Daisy: Lorna, ice cream this Saturday. My treat.
Lorna: Woi, imagine its Peter's parents anniversary. I can't make it.

Three months later...
Lorna: Can we hang out?
Daisy: I am going upcountry.
Lorna: Aki woiye, this is the only weekend Peter is out of town.

This is the kind of friend who never has time for you when she/he is in a relationship. Everything is centred on the better half. The only time you two seem to get to hang out is when they break up, have beef or when they can not hang out with them.

CANCEL THE CONCERT. Romantic relationships should never take the place of friendships - its great to find time for friends.


I know i used examples with female names but that was just for functional purposes. This list applies to both men and women. Good thing is
its never too late to stop being 'dumpable'...unless well, it is.

Remember: 'There is no such thing as a bad friend; you either have good friends, acquaintances or they are not a friend.'

Cheers to better friendships.

Regards, L.O.P :-)

6 comments:

  1. You just nailed it!
    Standing ovation Safina
    Swat the mosquito
    Bin the bra

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rose Alice, thank you love :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Friends are meant to support friends, if its not like that, then there is no reason to why they are called friends! Great article Iqba

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow..safina... I soo impressed at your expression of realiry..this friends are definitely a must dump!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow..safina... I soo impressed at your expression of realiry..this friends are definitely a must dump!

    ReplyDelete