Monday 16 March 2015

IN MY HEAD FOR KShs.20 - #KShs. 1 - WHY YOUR PILAU IS A NJERI


I was challenged by one Sarah Lebu (get her beautiful pieces there) to do 20 pieces in 20 days. This challenge was accepted because i am the girl you tell to run on her head and I still try.

This will be different from the normal monthly posts. I will give you a sneak peak of what goes through my head. This will be random; all my interests, thoughts and feelings in 20 days. Lets do this, ey?

Lets start with my first love and exceptional skill (yes, i said it): FOOD AND COOKING.

Pilau is a Swahili dish made in most households. The best pilau dish is a balance of many aspects. I am going to give five of the most frequent mistakes made when making this perfect dish.

1. WHY YOU MAKE RICE UGALI

This is a common feature of most rice dishes made in Kenyan kitchens. I mean why would you make rice if it ends up looking like the brown ugali? The first step in making sure your pilau turns out perfect is to make sure the rice does not clump together. There are recommendations I would make for the rice brands that I prefer but they have not paid for advertising. Hint: Opposite of sunset.

The trick to make sure rice does not clump is to wash it! Easy yes? NO! I mean really wash the rice until the water turns clear. The starch is responsible for the cloudy appearance of the water. Starch is responsible for the sticking together of rice grains so wash wash wash.

Frying rice lightly in a pan also helps. This involves frying washed rice in a very small amount of oil over fire for five minutes before boiling. No more rice ugali.

Go from this kind of Pilau

To this kind of Pilau 






















2. WHY YOU MAKE WHITE PILAU

Serving white rice with peas and potatoes and random brown color here and there and telling your guests its pilau is an insult to someone (i am not sure to whom but its an insult). Refering to white rice as pilau is like refering to Marya as talented in music...I mean, what?

The signature look of pilau is the GOLDEN COLOR - not white or black, but Golden color. The mistake people make is to think that the color is as a result of Pilau masala.

The trick to getting this golden color is dependent on the color of the onions you fry first. Yes. The color of the onions after frying determines the end color of the dish. Fry onions to a golden brown color or a bit darker and the signature look will be taken care of.

3. WHY YOUR PILAU CAN BE FLU MEDICINE

This has happened to me so many times when I eat at someone else's house. Have you ever looked forward to a plate of pilau but you can smell the pilau masala from under a trailor? The amount of spice especially the usual suspect, Pilau masala is enough to make your flu go away, cure your muscle aches and open up your sinuses. I am sure you relate.

The amount of spices to put in pilau is not a perfect science but here is a tip to make the results better:
Use whole spices instead of the ground ones hence controlling the flavor and getting the most of it at the same time. Spices are naturally balanced but there is one thing most people do not do; roast the spices before use. This is the best way to maximize on spices. Please do not throw the spices over open fire, just place a sufuria over fire until its hot then throw the spices in and stir for about three minutes. These are now perfect for use.

4. WHY YOUR PILAU DOES NOT HAVE THE O-FACTOR

O-factor is brought about by the amount of onions you put in the first place. Crazy hint: Pilau does not need tomatoes. The flavor of your pilau is depedent on the onions. Go crazy with 4 onions and above. Cut them into rings too (adds nothing) but makes it look yummier in my opinion.


5. WHY YOUR PILAU IS OVER/UNDER COOKED

If you make a lot of it, the upper part is normally too crunchy meaning its undercooked. Use the old time trick, cover with a lid, remove from fire and put hot charcoal on top. Perfect.

Over cooked rice is the main enemy of the state. This is usually due to wrong water to rice ratio measurement. I know the old rule is 1:2 but I recommend 1:13/4 to make sure that the rice is cooked just right.

RANDOM TIP: Fry full potatoes in oil and throw into the pilau. This makes sure they are not mushy by the time the rice is done and gives them a crunchy taste. Do not slice or chop the potatoes, whole potatoes make better pilau.

Thank me later.

Regards, L.O.P :-)


9 comments:

  1. I am the worst at cooking pilau but my mum's pilau,is amazing. Nice piece.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am the worst at cooking pilau but my mum's pilau,is amazing. Nice piece.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice piece. Whoop! learnt something new about the Pilau masala.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Rose, I am glad you learnt something

      Delete
  4. I don't make pilau njeri. My pilau is light skinned aka bleached.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm making pilau kesho coz of this right here....mother of opinions you've been 'hiding white from me'....ok bye

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm making pilau kesho coz of this right here....mother of opinions you've been 'hiding white from me'....ok bye

    ReplyDelete